2 days ago
Good Afternoon the New England Tenors are seeking partners in faith to host a benfit concert in your area. Please let me know if you are interested. Our reputation for delivering an outstanding musical program concert while raising hundreds and even thousands of dollars for local charities has been our mission for the last 8 years. If you think your venue and faithful would supoort an event of thiis nature please call me and we can schedule a church vist. We always hope to include the churches own choir with the great tenor voices. Hope to hear from you. Thank you Mike Fay (978) 476-6053 "Thats The Spirit" Productions ( TTS) ... See MoreSee Less
Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Parish added 4 new photos.
5 days ago
“…but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.” Ephesians 2:19-22
Today we celebrate the 109th anniversary of the laying of our Church’s cornerstone! How fortunate we are to have the following account and photos of this important ceremonial event in our church’s history!
“NEWTON, Oct. 10—In the presence of several thousand persons and assisted by a number of prominent clergymen Archbishop William H. O’Connell this afternoon laid the corner stone of the new St. Mary’s church at Newton Upper Falls.
The impressive ceremony marked an epoch in the progress of the first Catholic parish in this city, for when the edifice is ready for occupancy next spring it will be one of the finest of any of the Catholic parishes of Newton.
When the service began at 3:30 on the flooring laid over the foundations for the new edifice the surrounding grounds were occupied by hundreds of spectators. The hill running back from the opposite side of High st and the tops of nearby buildings furnished vantage points for many others.
The service opened with the singing of hymns by the congregation, and included reciting the rosary by visiting clergymen, the singing of hymns by the choir, a stirring sermon by Rev. Florance Halloran of St. Peter’s Church, Dorchester, the laying of the corner stone by Archbishop O’Connell and benediction.
The corner stone was laid in the northwest corner of the edifice. The box contained copies of the Globe, a number of other publications, US coins of the time, and records of St. Mary’s church.
Among the visiting clergymen assisting in the service were Vicar General George J. Patterson, Rt Rev Mgr McGuinness of St. Thomas church, Jamaica Plain; Rt Rev Thomas I. Gasson, SJ, president of Boston college; Rev J. Millerick of St. Joseph’s church, West End; Rev Fr Driscoll of Lawrence; Rev Michael J. McManus of St. Mary’s church, Brookline; Rev Thomas Flanagan of St. Joseph’s church, Medford; Rev Matthew Flaherty of St. Bernard’s church, Concord; Rev Daniel C. Riordan of Sacred Heart church, Newton Center, and Rev W.H. Fitzpatrick of St. Gregory’s church, Milton.
The new edifice of St. Mary’s parish will be built at the junction of High, Oak and Elliot sts, in one of the highest and most central portions of Upper Falls. The first Catholic service in this city was held in Upper Falls in 1846. In 1870 St. Mary’s became an independent parish. In 1891 Rev Timothy J. Danahy, the present pastor, came to the parish. The parish includes not only Upper Falls but parts of Newton Highlands, Waban and Needham.”
(Photos and article: The Boston Globe, Monday, 11 October 1909, Page 13; all grammatical text as found.) ... See MoreSee Less
7 days ago
October 9, 1909 was the day before the ceremonial laying of the cornerstone in the foundation of the new Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Church, at the time still being referred to reverently by the parish name of St. Mary’s. Imagine the joyful anticipation of our predecessors when the following account appeared in the local papers, along with the architect’s rendering of what the new church would look like:
“An epoch in the first Catholic parish of this city will be marked tomorrow by the laying of the cornerstone of the new edifice of St. Mary’s Church at Newton Upper Falls, which upon its completion next spring, will be one of the finest church buildings of Newton.
Tomorrow’s exercises will take place at 3:30pm. The cornerstone will be laid by Archbishop O’Connell and prominent clergymen will assist.
The new edifice will be built on one of the highest spots of Newton Upper Falls at High, Oak and Elliot sts, where the foundations are now practically finished. Here the church property will include an acre of grounds, providing an admirable site for the future rectory. The completion of the new church will mark the abandonment of the present church on Chestnut st.
Sod for the new edifice was broken June 27 last by Vicar General Patterson. It had been proposed to build the church principally of concrete, but subsequently this plan was changed. The principal materials will be water-struck brick and steel. The design will follow the Roman renaissance architecture of the earlier, simpler style. The trimmings will be of limestone and the shafts of the columns of pink Tennessee marble, with granite bases and carved limestone capitals. The building will be 180 feet deep and the extreme width will be 70 feet.
The church will have a campanile or bell tower. The edifice will seat 700 upon the floor, and there will be a fine apse at the sanctuary. At the front will be placed the choir gallery, and at the opposite end the sanctuary and vestries. There will be in the basement an auditorium seating the same number, which will be used for Sunday school purposes, this having also its sanctuary, vestries and choir space.
The first Catholic service in Newton took place in 1846 at Newton Upper Falls, in the house of John Cahill. In 1865 the district became a mission of Waltham. A frame building, the first church of the parish, was dedicated in 1867. In 1870 St. Mary’s became an independent parish. In 1891 Rev. Timothy J. Danahy, the present pastor, came to the parish. In his administration the old church was redecorated and the parochial residence renovated. Under his direction St. Joseph’s mission church was established in Needham. The parish now includes not only Upper Falls but parts of Newton Highlands, Waban and Needham."
(The Boston Globe, Saturday, 9 October 1909, Page 14) ... See MoreSee Less
Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Parish added 6 new photos.
1 week ago
Did you know that Boston’s famous Columbus Day parade first occurred in 1910, one month before Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Church was dedicated? Among the prominent guests in the reviewing stands were President Taft, Governor Draper, Mayor John F. Fitzgerald, Archbishop O’Connell and European dignitaries from the Catholic Church. Forty thousand people took part in the parade, and a crowd of hundreds of thousands witnessed its pageantry. The largest contingent was comprised of 20,000 members of the Holy Name Society, including 100 men from our former church of St. Mary’s.
(Photos: The Boston Globe, October 13, 1910, pp. 1, 7-9) ... See MoreSee Less
1 week ago
Have a blessed Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary! ... See MoreSee Less
Happy Feast of the Holy Guardian Angels! Visit our website at maryimmaculateoflourdes.org/en/parish_info/bulletin_archive/ to hear Fr. Higgins’ sermon from last Sunday, in which he discusses the role of angels in the world today.
(Courtesy of a parishioner, a photo of our statue of St. Michael the Archangel, guardian angel of the Catholic Church, on our altar.) ... See MoreSee Less
Have a blessed Feast of St. Michael the Archangel! Let us rejoice with the bells on this beautiful, autumn day!
Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits, who prowl through the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.
(Video taken after this morning’s 9 a.m. Mass, courtesy of a parishioner) ... See MoreSee Less
Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Parish added 3 new photos.
3 weeks ago
The lower church at MIOL has been remodeled a few times in the course of its history (most recently circa 2009). A dampness issue in the original basement floor forced a renovation in 1926, and a Chapel was then created using pews, altar rail and Stations of the Cross from the original St. Mary’s Church. In 1952, the Chapel was redecorated and “updated” with a new organ, confessionals, and Stations of the Cross, and a new Sanctuary space was created. It was planned that Archbishop Richard Cushing would dedicate this renovated lower church on September 26, 1952 following his return from a trip; instead, Bishop Eric MacKenzie of Boston presided at the dedication. In tribute to the Church’s place in the community, delegations from Newton’s police and fire departments, which were historically well-represented among the Church’s members, participated in the musical program for the day.
(Article: The Boston Globe, September 20 1952 Page 9; Press photo: The Boston Globe, September 27, 1952, Page 2; Photo and caption as in MIOL Centennial Booklet 1970) ... See MoreSee Less